Friday, May 21, 2010

Camping Towels

It's camping season again. The camper has been de-winterized. Our daughter is eagerly expecting to run wild at the lakes. And I've been prepping camping supplies.

Towels. When camping, using kind of thin, easily drying towels is key. Our towels for camping are basically old household towels that are fraying and worn a bit. They still take quite a bit of space.

I was thinking last night when drying a glass with one of my handwoven dishtowels that it would be perfect to have a really big handwoven dishtowel for a camping towel. My handwovens wear like iron. They are thin and light. And they have a nice hand feel.

I was thinking about structures. Like a nice plain striped plainweave towel with log cabin ends and a striped body. I almost think that they'd be too thin, so I am musing with the idea of sampling some doubleweave towels and crepeweave towels. See which dishtowel has the best hand.

But that's the kind of useful weaving project that would be fun.

1 comment: