Monday, May 17, 2010

Shredding a Warp

I have an 8-harness loom that is warped up right now with 24 epi 10/2 mercerized cotton in a color blanket warp. Most of the thread is very tight-spun. The black cotton that I have threaded, though, is a much softer spun yarn. Didn't really notice that as I was warping.

I thought I'd get my first use of my 24 dent reed. I warped up and tied on and started weaving all happy.

Uh-oh. 10 inches into the weaving, the black thread section of the warp is shredding. The abrasion is too much for it. I'm sure that if I kept on, within the next 10 inches the rest of the colors would start shredding.

Live and learn. Give the yarn a bit of room to move. I'll save the 24 dent reed for the skinny silks and skinny cottons that I'm weaving. I'll slap a 12-dent reed into the mix, re-tie, and salvage the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment