Wednesday, January 11, 2012

TV, Holidays, and some Weaving News

We finally bought a 46" Samsung LED TV for $899. I still think that's pretty frivolous, but we've been enjoying it immensely (no pun intended). The three year stretch with our old TV when the flat panel was destroyed accidentally is over.

The holidays were quiet. We spent a week with the family in Virginia.

And the big weaving news? The shawl warp that's been languishing on my new Louet David loom for 2 1/2 years is now being woven off. I have half of it done. The warp had a secondary metallic yarn warp that was weighted off the back with water bottles for weights. Because doing a secondary warp with the weights is a bit finicky, I wasn't keen on messing with it. I finally got it threaded through the heddles, threaded through the reed, and tied on the front. Then I adjusted the weight in the bottles to pull the warp taut properly, and I was off and running. The sticking point for all those years was handling that secondary warp.

It's weaving beautifully. I like the mix of colors. The main warp is a rayon slub space-dyed in berry shades: deep grape, bright deep raspberry fuchsia, bubblegum pink. The silver metallic warp that peeps through is just a lovely complement. I only hope the warp is long enough. This is going to be one of those projects where I had so much trouble starting in the beginning that I wasted a lot of warp in the front. Now I'm going to be using the warp up to the knots on the back beam to make it long enough to drape properly.

I'll post pictures and a write-up on it later.

I'm also weaving a narrow scarf in a space-dyed merino yarn of purples and greys. I'm weaving it off with a deep purple 20/2 worsted wool. I'm not quite as enamored of that warp, but it will do. I still think that I should just weave it off fast. It's threaded to a basic rosepath threading.

No comments:

Post a Comment