Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Stubborn Scarf and Broken Warp Thread

See that? Right there kind of curled to the right side of the warp?



That's a broken warp thread. Grrr.

This hasn't been as successful as I'd like. I like the undulating twill effect at the bottom of the web, but the weft yarn is a heavier weight 2/10 merino tencel and was obscuring the silk noil warp.



The yarn has such potential. It's a luscious blend of silk nubbins in deep peacock colors. Witness:



And I don't think the camera does it justice.

But when I use the 2/10 merino tencel, the fabric is too dense and spongy and hides the beautiful warp. And when I cross it off with itself, it looks rather boring.

So, later today I'm going to try to fix that hanging broken warp thread in the usual manner. Then I'm going to try a different weft yarn --a 10/2 deep purple mercerized cotton from the Lunatic Fringe.

The noil warp is too soft to withstand weaving that beautiful undulating twill, unfortunately. That twill is very dependent on the floating selvedge because it does 3 weft shots for every shed opening. And the selvedge yarn isn't doubled because I didn't realize the strain that was going to be put on it. So I'm switching gears and just trying a straight vertical herringbone twill on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment